Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Reading

Reading is probably my favorite pastime of all time - some have even whispered the word “obsession” behind my back - and I’m not always real picky about what I read. If caught bookless at one of those more compulsive times, I can be found reading recipes, junk mail, cereal boxes, and even Chinese take out menus. Just about anything with words on it.

My taste in books is what I choose to think of as “eclectic”, with two strong contenders for favorite genre.

On one hand, you have feel good, uplifting romantic books. Not bodice-ripping romance novels… RomanTIC. Think more in terms of Susan Wiggs and Debbie Macomber or even CS Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia. Light, easy reading usually with an underlying moral or two that always ends well, even though the characters may have an issue or two to work through.

On the other, you have deep, dark mystery and suspense - the more intricate the better. Murders and other heinous crimes, played out in convoluted plot twists that leave you totally surprised at the end.


And then - everything around and in between.

I’ve always read voraciously. Even as a child, I can remember setting my library book behind the faucet on the kitchen sink so I could read as I did dishes, or reading by the light of a flashlight, when it was way past time to turn off the lights for bed. My mom used to say that a bomb could go off beside me, and if I was really engrossed in my book - and I usually was! - I wouldn’t even know.

I learn so much by reading - even light romantic fiction. A well-researched novel can give all kinds of information about other cultures, history, different peoples, customs… I’ve often been able to toss out little-known facts to liven up a stalled conversation - and it makes people think you’re really smart if it just happens to be something they didn’t already know.

I think reading is fun. It can take me totally away from cares and woes of all kinds, keeps me from ever having to say, “I’m bored”, and opens up the world to me. Fiction (my undoubted favorite) and nonfiction alike can take me places I could never go otherwise.

2 comments:

Alice Faye said...

I enjoy reading too but I don't do as much as I should. I wished I had been a better reader as a child. I'm trying to catch up now. I hate to admit it but I just got hooked on the "Twilight" series. Have you read them? I have them if you want to borrow them the next time you are here. They are pretty interesting. I am also reading "The Peacegiver." It is about Christ and it is very,very good. I once heard the saying, "a person who can read and doesn't isn't any better off than a person who can't read at all" or something like that. Anyway, happy reading.

Anonymous said...

I take after my ma!! However, if a book isn't nearby, my FAVE "other" read is....the phonebook!! It's true!!!